Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Rub-a-dub-dub 3 men in a tub!

Before leaving I was trying to get basic idea of the Japanese culture. My one friend who lived in Japan for a few years filled me in on a couple things. One of the most notable for me was about serving beer; first you serve everyone at the table, then someone serves you, then when everyone is ready, you drink together. She went on to talk about how it differs from the independent, self-driven North American culture, and that everything is done in community. Little did I know that meant showering too……
Ah yes... the Ofuro! The ofuro is a traditional Japanese bath. The bath is dividing into two section- the changing room, and the bathing room. The changing room is your typical locker room- I like to think of this one as the YMCA membership plus edition!  The bathing area has showers to rise off with, buckets to sit on, mirrors and of course the ofuro (tub ) itself.  The bath holds 3 or 4, is much deeper and the water is a lot hotter. Basic rules are that you clean yourself, then go soak, and hang out- just like a hot tub! At first I felt like I was going swimming at a public pool. Actually much of the same rules apply… must rise off first, no jumping in and slippery when wet!  See hilarious carton depiction of rules- I’m not sure what the bottom left one is... no farting in the tub?! (Hahahahahahah)  
I found this description and kept getting awful images of a business trip gone wrong;
“Japanese people look at bathing as a social activity.  Many parents bathe with their children, enjoying the experience and feeling it builds better relationships between family members.  Even co-workers might bathe together when they go to an onsen resort on a company junket, or when they visit a hotel's sento public bath during a business trip.”
Hmmm….Personally I’m still not exactly sure how I feel about it but I must say that it is pretty sweet after a long day of riding!


1 comment: